Monday, March 29, 2010

school.

It's almost April, and I can't believe I have been home for almost 10 months. I can't believe Wes will be 9 months in less than one week! Time has flown by, and all the things I said I would accomplish...well I haven't.

As we get closer to August, I have much to think and pray about. Where will I work? At which school will I get a job? Originally, when I took a leave of absence, everything was all figured out and I knew what to expect. Well things have changed. The teacher that was going to retire is still retiring. But the county is NOT replacing her, they are simply merging her class with a class at the south end. So my hopes of going back to MY position, or to the retired teachers position, have changed. When I took a "leave" I gave up my position. So I don't know if that's an option for me. They may or may not like the current teacher...they may really like her a lot. Either way, I wouldn't want them to not renew her contract just because I have tenure over her. That is NOT the right thing to do.

I do/did love my job as an ESE teacher, teaching children with special needs. But now that I have a child approaching school age, it's not about me anymore. It's about placing him in the BEST environment for HIM, and if that means me changing schools/jobs, then that's what I will do. But I would greatly miss WMHS, because I absolutely love everyone there (staff, kids, etc). It would be a difficult move.

I don't want to apply for a job at The Villages...at least not at this point. But I have made arrangements to shadow teachers at Wildwood Elementary, and Bushnell Elementary, and Galaxy Of Learning (Galaxy now has K and 1st grade). I want to shadow teachers for a few reasons. I want to see where I feel is the best all around school for Will. I also want to see if I am capable of teaching elementary age children. When I say "capable" I basically mean, "handle" the little ones. Can I mentally handle that age...all day?!

Part of me wants to work and send Will to Bushnell elementary. But until I visit each school I won't have a fair assessment. For the record, I will shadow teachers at WES for more than one day. I will only be at the other schools for one visit. I know it's not a true and accurate assessment of each school, but it's a start. And I think I will know what to do.

I may end of at the high school for one more year...but after that, I just don't know. Like I stated before, it's not about me anymore. I have to do what's best for my son and my family. And I have NO CLUE what that will be!!! It's very scary and many of you have already been there and already know what you feel comfortable with. I'd love your feedback...good or bad.

Will starts kindergarten next August. So my time is ticking. I pray that I make the right decision. Don't we all want whats best? Some of us have to make due with the choices we have. I feel blessed that I can change those choices only because I work in the school system. But that doesn't mean I will always be able to do the right thing, but I can certainly try!

Love to all,
Jen

3 comments:

The Russ Family said...

I know what you mean. Who are you going to shadow at our school? I LOVE 5th grade. I have taught 2nd and 3rd and this by far is my favorite. I feel as though they are older, but yet most are still innocent. I think I would like to try high school some time. I love the flexibility of our jobs.

Jeanne said...

I absolutely understand with Josie starting Kindergarten in August! Ahhhh, did I just type that? I can't even believe that is happening! I love FPES! That's where she'll be next year for sure, but after that...... only our sweet Lord knows and I want him to tell me NOW! I mean what's with this walk by faith stuff anyway? :)

Deborah said...

I wish you lived in Polk county! We have an open position at our Winter Haven school and I bet you'd be great!! :) God will lead you to the right place..just not in the timing we would like!