Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Time well spent. Time wasted.

Lately...I have thought about my life in general. The older I get, the more I value my life, each moment I have, and how I can best live my life. I'm starting to realize all the things that really matter...but most importantly, I am realizing the many things that do not matter at all.

Think about what I just typed. Why is it more important to realize those things that "don't matter?"

Well...if you think about it, we allow our lives to be consumed with crap!

If you stop focusing on "crap" then maybe you can actually use your imagination to do and try new things. Like: Spend time with people that you know you need to. Show Love more. Say "I love you" more often. Get off your cell phone for a change. Actually turn it off while your driving. Sign on your computer only when the children are napping or are in bed for the night. Love on your animals. Go for a walk, go to the park, have a picnic...the list goes on. Use your imagination.

Ask yourself some of these questions, if they don't apply to you, sit back and think of your own.

***Scenario*** American Idol was great tonight...that Lee and Casey guy sure are cute. Hey why don't I post a question on FB...and say something like..."Who will leave Idol tonight?"....that will probably get a lot of posts!

***Seriously...does it matter who wins Idol this season? Can you remember right off the top of your head who won season 3? Do you go out and buy their CD's? What could you have done for 2 hours that was actually memorable? What did you gain by watching Idol? The answer? Entertainment. It's all about entertainment!!

I could have used Grey's Anatomy, Dancing With The Stars, Desperate Housewives, Glee, The Bachelor/Bachelorette, etc.

Why do we allow JUNK to JUNK up our lives? I am guilty! But I realize it and I want to change!

If I live for Tuesday nights because of Idol, what am I gaining? Do I walk away having learned something? NO! I was simply entertained.

If I look forward to what Gabby is going to do this Sunday on Desperate Housewives, then what does that say about me? It says I look forward to a story that isn't real. I look forward to the "entertainment" and what it does for me.

If I put Wes down at 11am every morning so that I can watch THE VIEW, and I get mad because he won't go to sleep and is crying....then I seriously need to check myself. When THE VIEW is over...what will I have walked away with? Did I learn something new that I can apply to my life or was I entertained?

Listen friends...I am a fan of sitcoms and reality TV. And I record these shows. But from the bottom of my heart, I try to watch them only when my chores are done, and the kids are napping. There is a time for everything. And...if for some reason Idol didn't record..guess what? I DON'T CARE! I truly don't! These things do not consume me!

I love how Janet tried something new/different and took her kids to the park. I'm sure the satisfaction she felt, seeing her kids so happy....was far more satisfying than a show she recorded and finally watched. One year from now, she will not remember the details of her "show" but I can guarantee she and her children will remember that picnic! (Hope you don't mind me using you as an example!!)

I could go on and on. I could use hundreds of examples. But, it all boils down to this. Think about what you are doing right now, or what you have done so far today up until this point. If you could replay your moments, which ones would you omit? Which ones would you have used as a learning experience for your children (Thank you Jeanne) rather than yelling at them or spanking them? Which moments would you redo with more passion? Before you do something...ask yourself this..."Will I walk away from this with more knowledge? Will I make a difference by doing this? Will I miss an opportunity if I continue?"

I challenge each of you to omit something from your day that is routine. And add something new in it's place. But make that something GREAT :) Get off your butt, stop watching so much TV, stop texting, turn your cell phone off, play games with your children, don't let NICK JR raise your kids, wash those dishes later.

It's ok to make time for "junk". But use your own time. Not your family's time.

We are all guilty.

2 comments:

Janet said...

No, I don't mind you using me as an example - I'm flattered! I totally agree with you on all that you said. I have cut way back on my TV watching over the past 6-8 months, but I need to improve on the amount of time I'm on the computer! Thanks for the reminder that our time is precious!

Cyndi said...

Wowzers Jen. This is a great post!
All of your thoughts are spot on. Exactly why I am no longer on FB....it just consumes way to much time.By the way, lets do dinner. :)
It'll be time well spent!