Thursday, October 2, 2008

What a difference a day can make

Tuesday was a difficult day for me. My patience was tested (unlike it has ever been tested since I've started teaching) and I actually didn't enjoy my job. I questioned everything that day. I thought..."Is this really the right class for me...do I have what it takes? Am I cut out for this?" I woke up on Wednesday and said to myself..."If I go to work today, I won't be a good teacher. If I take a "mental day off" then I will be good for another few months." Joey had already taken Will to Amy's house by the time I had decided I would take the day off. So at 9am, I crawled back into bed and slept until almost 11am. It felt great! And I felt so much better. I really needed a break. I needed a few extra hours of uninterrupted rest. What a difference rest can make! What a difference a day can make.

Today was a good day. I was back into action and happy to be the teacher of my particular class. Was my patience tested today? Absolutely! But with a clear mindset, it's amazing how we can handle difficult situations. Saying that reminds me of yesterday's Oprah. If you watched it, you know exactly what I mean.

Actually, overall, this has been a great week. It's Homecoming week! We have had dress up days all week...remember those? This year they were: Star look alike day/ Tacky Dress or Gender Bender/ Hawaiian Day/Favorite Team Day/ WHS Pride Day. The kids at WHS have done a great job all week participating. You should have seen all the guys dressed in heels and gowns. It was a blast to see. That's why I love being at the high school, especially during Homecoming week. Man how I miss those days! Although it seems like I was there yesterday, it's been over 13 years. How did the years go by so fast?

I hope you enjoy the music playing. This was my "class song". The class of 95. (Boyz II Men, Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday)

If I only knew then, what I know now. What a difference a day can make...

3 comments:

Deborah said...

That used to be my FAVORITE song! I haven't heard it in years! I miss those fun days of high school too and the crazy dress up days! Remember the "Almost Miss" pageant we had where the boys dressed up as girls and did a talent?! ahhh...memories.....Glad you had better day after your "mental health day"!! :)

Jeanne said...

You're so good. I don't even remember our class song. How sad is that? :) Sleep makes ALL the difference for me. I'm like a compeletly different person when I'm rested! Have a good weekend.

Cyndi said...

Hey girl....I am so glad you took off that day. I can't imagine you becoming one of those "hardened" teachers, although I see how it happens to good ones. When I opened your blog, I immediately smiled. (: Everytime I hear that song and "A bad Goodbye" (Wynnona and Clint Black), I think back to those years. I LOVE that we have shared and continue to share our lives.